At the beginning of each year, I ask our team to reflect on Motista’s biggest breakthroughs in the past year. Overwhelmingly, our team had a consensus response looking back on 2012: The biggest breakthrough came from our clients, in how they used Connection Intelligence to make better decisions across a wide swath of strategic and tactical areas.
When Alan Zorfas and I started Motista five years ago, we knew we had to accomplish some big tasks: quantify emotional connection, tie emotion to business outcomes, and create intelligence on brands that’s always current and on-demand, just to name a few. But, we knew the tallest order was delivering intelligence about consumer emotion that marketing and business leaders could use every day to answer questions, solve problems and validate decisions. If brands are going to build emotional connection, they have to do so day in, day out.
In 2012, we were excited to see use cases whereby brands:
- Created highly effective positioning strategies leading to market share gains – strategies substantiated with robust intelligence and finalized in just weeks;
- Measured the impact of customer experience touch points on emotional connection, and identified which touch points were most predictive of cross-sell;
- Used Connection Intelligence to explain unanticipated changes in revenues and further demonstrate emotional connection is highly correlated to top-line sales;
- Quantified the impact of digital and social channels on emotional connection, serving as a basis for significant budget decisions;
- Determined optimal, unique emotional messaging for specific, high-value attitudinal segments; and
- Moved quantitative emotional connection metrics onto dashboards alongside financial and operational measures, putting senior marketers in a superior position to explain decisions to their financial and operational peers.
Of course, these are but a handful of examples from 2012.
In 2013 our top priority is to continue working with our clients to apply Connection Intelligence to their decisions – strategic, tactical and operational – because this is the pathway to stronger customer relationships and financial outcomes.
Congratulations to Team Motista and our customers on a fantastic 2012!